How to Unlock Your AT&T-Locked iPhone for Free by Contacting AT&T Support
AT&T is a well-known service provider and is connected with iPhone for a long time. The users with an iPhone on AT&T carrier are tightly bound in their contract with the carrier who doesn’t even allow them to use their iPhone even after the expiration of the contract with the carrier.
However, users of iPhone used Baseband Unlocks through the jailbreak tweaks and hardware exploits generated by most skilled developers and hackers around the world. But now it seems that AT&T is changing its strategy by finally unlocking the off-contract iPhone users. AT&T said they would start the unlocking from 8th April.
And it looks like that AT&T has started unlocking iPhones (via Apple) from Sunday, 8th April. If you want to unlock yours as well then follow the steps below.
How to unlock iPhone for Free by AT&T:
- Firstly, find out if you’re eligible for this free unlocking service.
- Allocate 20-30 minutes of quiet time so that you can speak or chat properly with an AT&T’s customer support representative.
- Once you’re ready, get your AT&T account number ready and have your iPhone in front of you.
- Call this number 1-800-331-0500 (Skype user can call for free) or login to your AT&T online account to initiate a Live Chat session with an AT&T’s customer support representative.
- They will ask a couple of questions but mainly will ask for your account information, email and your iPhone’s IMEI number. Go to Settings > General > About. Scroll down to get your iPhone’s IMEI number.
- If there’s no issue with your account, they will issue the unlock and instructions within a few hours (some are given 24-48 hours). If this is not the case, they may have to do further checks. In this instance, they will give you a ticket number and inform you that somebody will be in touch with you within a week or by April 16th.
- Once AT&T confirms your eligibility, they will send you the instructions as shown below. Do note that restoring your device with a stock firmware will wipe out your jailbreak.
“Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.
We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.
To complete the unlock, simply:
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have internet connectivity.
- Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
- Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes.”
Think of this as the officially IMEI unlocking which was offered by various vendors not too long ago. Apple is the one who does the unlocking, not AT&T.