WE all know who pod2g is and why he has been in the jaibreak world too much in these days. The reason is that he deserves to be because he is the one who has provided us with the much awaited and anticipated jailbreak of iOS 5.0.1. Yes we are talking about the untethered jailbreak. The French developer has provided the world with his exploit and tools have been developed for jailbreaking.
If you are confused what we are talking about or new to the jailbreak world, then let us tell you about it. Jailbreak is undoubtedly the best thing that can ever happen to the iOS and Apple iPhone. Who doesn’t want to have more access to the ecosystem of his or her device? Jailbreak gives you all you need. It allows you to customize your device by giving you more access to the iOS. It let you install the applications from third party developers thus taking fun and entertainment to higher level.
Pod2g did it and provided the coding to the two main teams of the developers namely Chronic Dev team and iPhone Dev Team. Chronic Dev Team developed corona package in Cydia which performs the untether jailbreak on your device and iPhone Dev Team updated their already existing jailbreaking tool named redsn0w.
Being a jailbreaker, you must be familiar of Redsn0w. Now this redsn0w is updated with the exploit provided by Pod2g for untethered jailbreak on iOS 5.0.1. Another thing must be kept in mind that this untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 is only for A4 devices. Users with A5 devices (iPhone 4S and iPad 2) have to wait until we get an untethered exploit for them as well. The developer is working on it these days.
WE will give you a step by step guide by which you can perform the jailbreak on your device. The devices which are supported by this Redsn0w exploit are
iPhone 4 (GSM & CDMA)
iPod Touch 3G
iPod Touch 4G
The things that you require to have are
1) Your device must be updated to iOS 5.0.1. If you are still on iOS 5.0, then this one is not for you. You need to update it as soon as possible as the iPSW signing window for 5.0.1 is still open and might cause a problem for you afterwards.
2) You will need to have Redsn0w downloaded and installed on your Computer (Windows or Mac).
3) You will also need iTunes to be installed on your computer.
Things you need to note down before going for a jailbreak.
1) If you have one of those devices and are not on 5.0.1 yet, update now! The SHSH window is still open for 5.0.1 If you unlock via ultrasn0w or gevey, make sure you only get to 5.0.1 via a custom IPSW! Once you’re at 5.0.1, use the latest redsn0w 0.9.10 to both jailbreak and untether.
2) If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic dev team. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose.
3) Some of you are using a hybrid 5.0/5.0.1 configuration. If so, do not attempt to install this untether over that setup! You will most likely get into a reboot cycle. Do a sync and fresh restore to 5.0.1 then install the jailbreak + untether.
Now without wasting any time, we will head towards the step by step procedure for performing untether jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 on your A4 device.
1) First of all you have to back up your iDevice running on A4 device ( iPhone, iPad or iPod touch).
2) Now connect the device to your computer (Windows or Mac).
3) Now launch the Redsn0w once it is connected. Make sure that iTunes is not running at the time you launched the Redsn0w. If it is so, then first shut the iTunes down.
4) Once you have launched the Redsn0w, click on the button that is saying “Jailbreak”. Before you do so, make sure one thing that your device is powered off and is connected to the computer. These things are necessary for the tool to start the upgrade and jailbreak.
5) Now you have to put your device in DFU mode for which you have to follow your the on screen instructions you are receiving.
6) The time your device is in DFU mode, Redsn0w will automatically determine the device you are using and the version of iOS your device is running on.
7) After your device and iOS versions are identified, the tool will now start preparing the jailbreak data and other relevant operations shall be followed then. Wait for the process to terminate.
8) You will be given a dialog which will have jailberak options. All you have to do is to check the checkerbox option which says “install Cydia” and then proceed further.
9) The patched ramdisk will be uploaded to your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad, and redsn0w interface will get you a final page for donating to @pod2g, the developer of the untether.
10) Rest of the jailbreak process will be screen on the screen with some animations and coding going on. Do not unplug your device when you are jailbreaking.
The device screen will automatically become blank again when you will be done.
Congratulations you have successfully performed the iOS jailbreak untetherd on your A4 device using Redsn0w. Just turn your device back on and start enjoying the jailbreak. All credit goes to the French developer wand others who have assisted him getting this exploit.
Download Redsn0w 0.9.10 b2 b3- Windows (be sure to run in Administrator mode)
Download Redsn0w 0.9.10 b2 b3- Mac
2. Download iOS 5.0.1 stock firmware from here.
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad 2 WiFi
- iPad 2 GSM
- iPad 2 CDMA
- iPod touch 3G
- iPod touch 4G
3. Download iTunes from here.
So there you go with the jailbreak. IF you had any query related to the jailbreak or faced any problem. Then feel free to write us about it. We will be obliged to tell you some more details about it. For more news and guides, stay connected with us and don’t forget to recommend us if this post helped you in any way.