How to “Safely” Unlock your iPhone After Receiving E-mail Confirmation from AT&T
If you are the unlucky one to have stuck on the iPhone 4 baseband 4.11.08 but also the lucky AT&T customer who have received an email from them about the iPhone 4 unlock, then you must be happy about it. The email from AT&T is as follows:
“Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone.
We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked.
To complete the unlock, simply:
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have internet connectivity.
- Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.
- Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes.”
But before you get excited about anything I suggest that you continue to read this article, if you don’t want to again stuck on an unlock able baseband.
The thing that you should know that, doing a full iPhone restore will lead you to lose your untethered jailbreak and will also update its baseband to the latest version. Why this is a Bad thing? Well if your baseband is updated, especially if you are an active and eligible AT&T customer, you are finished!
There have been many reports now that those who received email, which suggest doing a full restore will unlock the iPhone. But people who have done this were shocked by what happened afterwards. Not only the method didn’t work for them but their baseband also got updated to 4.12.01. And there isn’t any unlocking for this baseband and there aren’t any reports that one will be coming out soon.
Now coming to how you can unlock your iPhone safely? Well currently there are two ways available. Keep on reading to learn them.
Methods to unlock the iPhone safely:
- First method is to use the latest version of redsn0w. Open it, tap on jailbreak, follow the on screen instructions, uncheck ‘Install Cydia’, and check ‘Deactivate’. This method doesn’t require you to restore while the next will require a restore.
- Build a custom firmware with sn0wbreeze. Open the program, follow the on screen instructions and choose the baseband preservation mode which will allow you to restore your iPhone to “stock” custom firmware while the baseband will be safely preserved.
- For both methods above, after you are done with one of them. It’s up to you to choose which one you want to use. After completing the required steps, eject the iPhone SIM tray, connect to iTunes and the following message will be displayed in iTunes:
“Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked”
If you didn’t saw the above message, then it means that your activation wasn’t successful. You can check with AT&T again if you don’t see it. But keep this in mind the precautionary measures mentioned above before you attempt to do anything. Because to lose your baseband is the last thing you want to happen to you while doing all this.How to “Safely” Unlock your iPhone After Receiving E-mail Confirmation from AT&T,