If you are using Windows XP and yearning for a complete new and fresh start of your computer, formatting your hard drive and re-installing Windows XP will do you much good. It will eliminate viruses, space and storage issues and will give a new life to your computer. You can re-install Windows and format your Hard Disk from there. This method is mostly preferred as it removes any problem you are facing in Windows or any type of error or viruses are bothering you but this method is also the longest and require more time.
Here is the list of things you will need before you start:
1. A Windows XP CD with a valid Product key (Only if you are going to re-install Windows)
2. CDs of the software you want to install with serial numbers
3. Programs and drivers which you will need to reinstall.
4. Plenty of time, of course.
Back up all your Important Information:
Once formatted, all the data on a drive is lost. You might want your documents, photos, videos, music etc. to be kept safe. Move all of them off your computer. You can save them to a DVD or DVD. Another option is to connect an external HD and move all you essential data to it. Alternatively, you can make use of “Online backup services”. But sending all your data over the internet takes too much time, so it is not recommended.
- Insert your Windows XP installation disc into your CD drive.
- Restart the computer. It will say “Press any key to boot from CD…” press a key to do so.
- The CD will load up a blue screen. It will list a few options, mainly “Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.” Press Enter.
- Now you will be at a screen to select where to install Windows to. This is where you can delete old partitions and format drives. The box in the bottom half of the screen shows all your drives and the partitions that exist on them. Use the Up and Down arrow keys to highlight your “C:” partition (Or the one which has Windows previously installed on it) and press the ‘D’ key. On the next screen press the ‘L’ key to finalize deleting the partition.
- Now you are back on the screen to choose where to install Windows. The box on the lower half of the screen should no longer show a partition but simply have an entry “Unpartitioned space xxxxxMB.” Select this with the arrow keys and press the ‘C’ key to create a partition on the hard drive. Choose the size you want.
- Now you will again be back at the choose where to install Windows screen. Highlight the partition entry and press enter.
- Choose the system to format the drive with. Choose NTFS as it is faster and more secure. If the drive is brand new and has never been used before then use one of the options that end in (Quick). Use the arrow keys to select the proper one and press Enter.
- Installation of Windows will proceed starting with a format of your drive. This will take over half an hour so you can take a little break.
- Computer will be restarted; you will again see the screen with “Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.” But now don’t press any key just wait for some second and you will see the Windows loading screen after it’s loaded it will ask you to set up date and time and will proceed with the windows installation.
- Input the Windows key when asked, and let the Setup proceed.
- Once it’s done the Computer will be restarted and your windows will be installed and you would be ready to use it.